Sunday, June 27, 2010

Chili Mac

Have any of y'all had hamburger helper? I think you either love it or hate it. Me, I love it. That delicious fake cheese sauce and god knows what else with a pound of hamburger is yummmmyyyyy. My mom never made it for us, but my dad made it a few times when my mom couldn't cook or was out of town. I loved it.


But I've decided to ban all preservatives from my diet, so hamburger helper is probably one of the worst processed foods you can ever eat. It's high in sodium and trans fat. I decided to attempt my own version of hamburger helper, minus the trans fat And sodium.


Ingredients:

1 box of elbow macaroni
1 pound of ground beef
1 8 oz can of rotelle diced tomatoes ( the garlic and green peppers one.)
1/2 a packet of taco seasoning
1 medium red onion
1 one diced bell pepper
1 8 oz can of crushed tomatoes
2 cloves smashed garlic
1 teaspoon of cumin.
1 12 oz package of shredded taco cheese or Mexican cheese
2 tablespoons of flour
2 tablespoons of butter
2 cups of milk
Salt and pepper

Boil your pasta, make it al dente and drain it.
In a large skillet, add a little bit of olive oil and heat it up. Add your chopped onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Sauté over medium heat until soft.
Add the ground beef. Cook throughly.
Add the can of diced tomatoes and crushed tomatoes on medium heat.
Add the half packet of taco seasoning.
Turn the temperature down to medium low heat, and let the sauce simmer a little bit for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Once it's done cooking, taste it and see if it needs salt.
Take another pot, and melt the butter on medium heat. Whisk in the flour, and then keep wisking into it forms into a paste and all the flour is slightly golden. ( your making a roux.)
Wisk in the milk, and turn the heat up to medium high. Let it come to a boil, and whisk it the entire time. ( this will take about 10 minutes.) once it becomes thick like a béchamel sauce, take it off the heat and put in about 8 oz of cheese. Stir it unti the cheese melts.
Combine the finished meat sauce, cheese sauce and pasta in a greased casserole dish. Top with the remaining cheese and bake for 20 minutes on 375, until the cheese starts to get golden and bubbly.

Enjoy!!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm, looks so yummy! Can't wait to try it, I think my son will like it too inshAllah! Thanx :)

    ReplyDelete