Thursday, June 24, 2010

Lentil Yumminess

So I recently joined a book club here in town. Minor problem, every book they've done so far I've already read. SO I haven't been even going to the book club meetings. I just got the email for next months club, and its a book that I've already read. It's called White Tiger, and it's a very gripping novel. I think I will have to suggest August's book club choice, so it'll be something I haven't read yet.

So today I will share with you my go to recipe when I can't think of anything to cook, and I always have the ingredients in my house. I call it, Mujadara. Desi's call it Kichri. Masri's call it Kuchari. Mujadara is an easy dish, but its all about getting your liquid measurements right.

Ingredients:

- 1 cup of rice ( I only cook with Jasmine rice, unless I'm stuffing something.)
- 1 cup of green lentils
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 large vidalia onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of butter

That's it! =)

- First, take your rice and soak it as your preparing everything else.
-Now, slice the onion, and take about a quarter of the onions and a little bit of olive oil and saute them in a pot. Let them get soft, and then add the chicken broth and the lentils.
- Bring the lentils to a boil, and then let them simmer. You have to check the lentils by tasting them. You want them to be halfway done, so somewhat soft but still have a bite to them. For me, it takes about 10-15 minutes to get them to this stage. If they get completely cooked, then your Mujadara will be mushy. 
- Now, strain the lentils and onions out, and save 3 and a half cups of cooking liquid.
- Combine the 3 and a half cups of broth and lentils and onions in the pot. Bring to boil, strain the rice, add some salt, and dump it in. Bring it to a boil again. Once it boils, but it on LOW heat, and cover. Cook for exactly 16 minutes.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking the rice, take a frying pan and melt the butter and olive oil. Once the butter is melted, add the rest of the sliced onions. Saute them on medium high heat until they start to brown and become crispy. This takes about 10 minutes or more. Be sure your constantly stirring it, because it burns easily.
- Once the rice is done cooking remove it from the heat, add the contents of the frying pan ( onions and the butter and olive oil) into the rice. Stir it so that it is absorbed into the rice. Cover it and let it sit for 5 minutes.

And its done! I usually serve this with a cucumber, garlic, and mint yogurt sauce. = )

1 comment:

  1. mmmmmm LOVE kushari! my only addition would be spicy marina sauce, thas how me masries do it :-)

    ReplyDelete