Saturday, July 9, 2011

Pure Michigan Ad Ain't got Nothing on This

This is what used to pop into my head before I got married about Michigan:


We all know Dearborn. The flocks of Arabs that migrate to Dearborn every year to buy groceries, eat mezza at Ajami and buy boxes and boxes of dessert from Shatila to give their neighbors and to gorge on during the late nights of Ramadan. Dearborn is the Arab foodies paradise. Enough said.


Abandoned buildings. Detroit is full of these. The dying city of the Midwest.


Fun weddings. Look at how much fun that groom is having. Detroit has a huge wedding industry thanks to all the Arabs. Belly dancers, huge halls, arab djs, the works. Plus theirs like 50,000 Arabs living there, so you will have tons of people you barely know at your wedding doing dabke like there is no tomorrow.

Obviously, I didn't know much about Michigan. When my husband told me we were going to go on a two day trip to northern Michigan, I thought to myself, what the freak is there to do up there? Did they convert an abandoned building to a hotel? Are we going to get robbed? Or better yet, am I just going to wander around state parks looking at trees and stay at some motel on the side of the highway? ( I am not a nature nor motel person.)

Turned out I was wrong! There's lots of things to do in Michigan, or Pure Michigan as the ads like to tell us.
There is a beautiful park called Sleeping Bear. It has these amazing sand dunes on the lake. It was really nice to walk around and look at the sites and all the people trying to climb up the sand dunes.
We had a sleeping bear in our car.
Theres an Island called Mackinaw Island where old people ride bikes like these.
There's an old fort where people dress up like soldiers. They probably think they are soldiers.
Michigan also has creepy exhibits about vaccines.
All in all, I had a ton of fun. Northern Michigan is beautiful, and Traverse City has the best Chai Latte I've ever had in my life. Go there. But not in the winter, because everything will be covered in 10 feet of snow.



1 comment:

  1. haha, love it! We were thinking of going there during spring break but unfortunately its still pretty cold there in April :( inshAllah we'll have to go in the summer! Cute sleeping bear!

    ReplyDelete